Friday 26 October 2012

Greensand Marathon 2012


In 2011 I ran Greensand Marathon with Kez.  It was an amazing experience and remains to this day one of my favourite marathons.  I decided to run solo in 2012 for a couple of reasons, the biggest one being that the weather was a little too hot for a husky running a mid-distance event. 

I was also taking a big risk in attempting to run a marathon distance due to a recent “injury”.  My large toe joint has become inflamed and progressively more painful over the past week.  After yesterday’s parkrun I could not fully weight bear on my right foot and was transferring my weight to the outside of my foot.  While I would never advise or recommend that anyone runs with an injury, I know my body and mind well and am a very experienced ultra-runner.   By morning of marathon day it was still painful, but no worse whether I ran or walked on it.  I made the conscious decision to start the marathon, knowing that it would be painful and I may well have to pull out before the end.

I have no “races” planned within the next 5 months, fun events yes, but nothing that I need to “perform” at – with the exception of New York Marathon, where Ian and I are official pace makers.  If my toe worsened, I was not prepared to take the risk of my performance there being affected. 

I regretted my decision to leave home without Kez within minutes of arriving at the race headquarters in Dorking.  People I knew and others that I did not know approached me and wanted to know where he was.  Many referred to him by name others wanted to know were my huskies were…..  I am sure many of them did not even know my name!

The race itself starts in Dorking and follows the Greensand trail to Westcott – Coldharbour – Leith Hill – Somerset Hill – Holmbury Hill – Pitch Hill – Reyards Hill – Winterfold Hill – and then back again!

It is a very tough course with lots of hills, tree roots, mud and twisty paths on tree lined routes.  The perfect terrain for me and just one of the reasons why this is my favourite marathon event….

It is traditional for Jerusalem to be sung immediately before the start of the race.  Last year I stood quietly as I knew not the words and anyway I am the world’s most rubbish singer!  This year I have been practising the words, courtesy of the Olympic Games Opening Ceremony CD, which I play continuously in my car on the long drive into work….
“And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?
And did the Countenance Divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among those dark Satanic mills?

I make no claims to “singing” this year, but I certainly mouthed the words with pride!

As we started up the first hill, I thought of the route ahead and envisaged the ¼ way point, just after Leith Hill.  That was my target, to get there and turn around if the pain in my toe was no longer manageable.

I had opted to wear my Salomon XR Missions due to the larger toe room, but this was to the detriment of grip on the tricky downwards sections.  I was very aware of my reduced confidence on the tough terrain, which my Speedcross shoes would have excelled on.

The route was very muddy and water logged in places, but there were alternative paths just to the side of the main path if one was not concerned about adding a few minutes to their time.  I chose the drier paths as I wanted to keep my feet as dry for as long as possible….

One thing that always amazes me in marathons is the approach that different runners take.  Some shoot off very quickly and suffer in the second half.  Others run a very well balanced race and some take it very easy in the first half and finish strongly.  I have always been a very slow starter, usually taking me until half way before I warm up.  My mind and approach to a run switches at half way as I know if I can make it to half way, then I can make it all the way….

Several runners around me were breathing extremely heavily, which got me thinking…. Do they breathe like this for the full marathon distance?  I could never imaging running more than a few miles while gasping for breath, but I know that I am not a good “racer” and tend to conserve energy rather than push myself to my full physical ability in most distances below ultra.  I tend to always run at a pace where I can still speak, even when running very fast 5ks with the huskies I still make sure that I can speak to them as much as possible.  Perhaps I need to train my mind a little differently and I may be able to run a little quicker, and for longer….  Or perhaps I was just never meant to “race” marathons….

I adopted cruise control, the pace and effort that I know I can sustain for a very long time.  It was comfortable being “in the zone” and the pain in my toe was relatively easy to manage.

The marshalls on the Greensand Marathon are always so friendly and encouraging.  The water stations plentiful and the course very well marked.  I heard some people make comments about struggling to follow the route, which I do not understand as if you are paying attention it is very easy to follow….

I missed my huskies company, and thought of them a lot.  There are some ultra-events coming up that welcome them and I made the decision to enter them as I jogged along the Greensand trail.  The general consensus of opinion is that the husky assist me in all events that I do.  The reality is that they physically assist me in distances up to 5k, after that they emotionally assist me, but my times running without them are faster.

When running with a dog, I think outwardly.  I think about their needs and what the world is like to them.  They will spot the deer standing in the forest watching us, the pheasant trying to hide in the bracken and the squirrel in the tree just about to leap across the path.  I need to spot them first, be one step ahead of their hunting instinct….

The other amazing and infectious attitude of the running husky is their ability to just keep on running.  They never complain and they never just stop because they “cannot be bothered” (CBB).  I am terrible for suffering from a very lazy attitude and “time wasting” tactics for no other reasons than CBB.  I know this frustrates Ian, and I want to try and change this attitude, next time it happens, I promise to “think like a husky” Ian…..

I reached Leith Hill and decided to continue on to the halfway point.  The pain was easing, or at least becoming easier to manage.

I reached halfway in 2:10.  Being an out and back course I saw all the fast runners coming towards me and well-meaning persons advised me that I was the 9th or 10th lady to reach this point. 

Heading back home, I felt the wings starting to grow on my back.  I thought of my little angel dog and how he helped me grow wings.  I miss him terribly and not a day goes by when I do not think of him.  I knew him for such a short time, but it is time that taught me so much. 

We have another rescued husky joining us for a while.  We pick her up this evening.  A poor little girly that has been badly treated by a puppy farmer – a baby herself, she has already given birth to other babies, cruelly taken from her.  She will stay with us until ready to be re-homed. 

As I ran home I was running to her.  A new life awaits her and a second chance awaits me.  She is not another Kobi, as there will only ever be one, but I have a chance to make a huge difference to another dog’s life.  She needs our help and that I willingly give to her….

The wings on my back continued to grow and were soon powering me over the tough terrain.  Fears of falling or tripping on roots were banished from my mind as I flew home.  I pushed myself on the uphill sections and threw myself down the downhill sections.  I imagined a pack of huskies running before me, leading the way home….

Mile after mile I continued at a pace that was both liberating and scary.  I felt strong and I felt good.  I was soon overtaking runners, some of which tried to follow me.  Others appeared to not want to let me pass them – running two or three abreast.  Perhaps wearing earphones affects their ability to hear approaching runners…..

Puddles I avoided in the first half became fun to run through in the second half.  And I do apologise to the runner that I may have splashed as I overtook through the puddle that was in reality more of a lake…..

My recent 5k training with huskies proved very beneficial as my legs were strong enough to cope with tough climbs and then rapid descents.  I surprised myself at the pace I was achieving on some of the downhill sections – a pace I normally reserve for very fast 5k running with huskies….

I knew a negative split was on the cards, but didn’t quite expect such a negative split.  I finished in 4:06.

The finisher’s carrot, medal, technical top (long sleeved) mug and pink champagne were my fabulous rewards for making the right decision to run with a poorly toe.  Although I think the self-satisfaction of achieving a full distance finish was the biggest reward of all!

And for those that wondered how much quicker I am when I running with a husky? 

In 2011, running with Kez and on a drier and quicker course I finished in 4:18.

However, having now run this fabulous event with and without a husky, I know which option I prefer….. 

Thank you Dr Robert and Trionium Races for another fabulous event.

(Image courtesy of Trionium Events)