Monday 31 December 2012

A different world awaits...



I entered this new world abruptly, thrown into a relentless river – fast flowing, torrential rapids.  I tried to keep afloat, grabbing rocks and branches, anything to keep my head above water.  But I kept getting swept further and further downstream.  Dragged down from below and pushed from above.

I continued down this river for most of Friday.  Sometimes able to gasp some breaths of air, mostly being smothered by the water, dragged further under and away from the surface. Away from life…

On Saturday morning I reached the sea.  I saw no surface of this sea, only the dark murky depths of the ocean.  I sank lower and lower into its depths.  It was welcome relief when I finally reached the bottom. 

On Saturday evening some magical force entered the ocean and caught me in its wake.  It helped guide me to the surface of the ocean and the pushed me along to the sea-shores.

On Monday I dragged my aching body from the ocean and took my first steps onto dry land.  I started walking along the beaches.

On Tuesday I started running.  Running across the great deserts, the grass plains and through the forests and the moor lands.

On Wednesday I took to the sky.  I spread my wings and flew.  I flew over the grasslands that I had run on, over the beaches that I had walked upon.  I flew over the ocean that had once held me captive at the bottom, and over the raging, torrential river.

I continued flying until I reached the foot of the mountains.  This is where I will rest for a while.

One day I will be ready to climb these mountains, but not just yet.  It is not yet time for me.  I need to mend myself more.  If I need to I have a lifetime to reach the tops of these mountains.  As long as it takes is as long as it will be.

(image courtesy of Melissa Simm)