Friday 11 January 2013

Rehband: my ankle's best ever friend

Easily fits in a shoe
Since the age of thirteen, ankle supports and braces have been my friends.  Never a week goes by when I do not have to call on the help of an ankle support.  Sometimes it is because I am in extreme pain, other times it is as a precaution because I am about to embark on an off road adventure where the terrain will be treacherous.

For those of you that do not already know my history, you can find out more here http://sandrabowers.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/managing-pain-and-flipping-it-on-its.html

Over the years I have tried a huge number of ankle supports from different manufacturers: Aircast; McDavid; LP; Vulkan; Mueller and Tubigrip to name a few.  They have all provided solutions and also caused further problems.  The problems have varied from destroying my shoes to causing further injury, wounds and bruising on my foot and leg.

Tubigrip has been with me from the start and will spend the rest of my life with me.

In 2011 I was introduced to Rehband and the start of a brilliant relationship.  Rehband help me run when all else fails, they help me train when pain and weakness could otherwise confine me to a sedentary life.  Quite simply they have become my ankle's new best friend.

Rehband have a great range of ankle supports.  
Rehband - more than just supports...
I wear the Ankle Brace when running at extreme speed and power, i.e. sub 5 minute miles with huskies….  I have also worn this brace on ultra distance events on days when my ankle has been weak or painful.  At first glance the brace looks very bulky, but it does fit easily into a normal trainer and has never caused me a significant problem on long distance events.  The only time I had a serious problem when wearing it was when running up a very steep and continuous hill during the Drovers leg of Welsh Castles Relay.  I had secured the “ligament” strap (which fits across the front of the foot) too tightly and as a result could not flex my ankle properly, causing the joint to remain in a very painful position.  I finished the run by adapting a rather strange style of running!  The simple solution to this problem has been to either not fit the strap, which is a Velcro fastening piece of webbing, or to fit it very loosely.
I have also worn the Ankle Brace post injury, i.e. when I have endured a normal “sprain” on my ankle.  It allows me to continue running as I recover albeit at a very reduced pace and effort!
Running supper fast...

I also wear the Lace up and the Receptor during short and longer runs.  Both are easier to fit than the Ankle Brace, but not quite as supportive.  I foolishly wore the Receptor for an ultra-distance event in severe mud and wet without trialling it properly with a brand new pair of trainers.  The result was a very painful wound on my heel where the new combination rubbed.  Again there was a very simple solution of adjusting the wrapping slightly to relieve the pressure point and a very valuable reminder to me that one should use logic and rational thought when embarking on the unknown…..

I usually wear the Ankle Support after I have run, to aid recovery and give my ankle some support after a strenuous effort.

Another really good thing about Rehband’s range of ankle supports and braces is that all of them can be worn on either foot.

Rehband have something for every occasion, I have also tried the knee supports with great success, especially just now as I recover from an injury sustained last year….


Please read my advice with caution.  I do not recommend running when injured.  I chose to run when I am in pain as my mind and body is very experienced in managing pain.  Supports and braces can be used to aid recovery, but please use them sensibly.

(Photos courtesy of Ian J Berry and Newbury parkrun)